ATM SAFETY TIPS
Baiduri Bank’s Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) provide for a convenient means to withdraw cash, make cash or cheque deposits, make bills, hire purchase and credit card payments, top up your mobile or prepaid electricity and much more.
Baiduri Bank takes careful measures to ensure your experience is a safe one such as:
- Placing ATMs in areas that are visible by passers-by,
- Providing good lighting for use during night-time,
- Installing security cameras,
- Limiting the amount of cash that can be withdrawn.
However, even with all of these measures in place, ATMs are still high targets for crime and malicious acts, so it is best to be aware and cautious and reduce the risks of fraudulent activities.
ATM CARD SKIMMING
ATM Card Skimming is a fraudulent practice where the perpetrator installs a device over the card slot of an ATM. This device is able to read and capture data from the magnetic strip on the back of an ATM card as a user unknowingly inserts their card into the machine.
The devices used are smaller than a deck of cards and are often fastened in close proximity to or over the top of an ATM’s factory-installed card reader.
These devices are often used together with a miniature camera, normally attached unnoticeably to the ATM, to capture footage of when the user enters their PIN.
Once captured, the electronic data is put onto a fraudulent card and the captured PIN is used to withdraw money from accounts
YOU SHOULD BE AWARE
GENERAL FACTS ON ATM SKIMMING ATTACKS
- Criminals tend to attach skimming devices either late at night or early in the morning and during periods of low traffic;
- Skimming devices are usually attached for only a few hours;
- Criminals install equipment on at least 2 regions of an ATM to capture both the ATM card number and the PIN;
- Criminals then sit nearby receiving the information transmitted wirelessly via the devices (installed on the ATM)
WHAT YOU CAN DO – TAKE PRECAUTIONS
- Use your hands or any object on hand to shield your other hand when entering your PIN
|The images above are an exact angle view of what a miniature camera captures. When you cover the keypad, the thieves will not be able to capture the PIN you have keyed in.
- Inspect the ATM & all areas of its fascia for unusual or non-standard appearance
- Be wary of suspicious people or vehicles at ATM surroundings
- If you notice unusual objects or anything suspicious attached to ATMs, report the matter to us immediately.
Baiduri Bank Security Control Department
226 8333 or 226 8445